Cyborg2 Community - Powered by UK2.NET & VPS.NET  

Go Back   Cyborg2 Community - Powered by UK2.NET & VPS.NET > Console Gaming > Other
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 20-10-08, 12:50   #1
Bridey
Its Bridey bitch

Need your help

I hope im posting this in a suitable place but I just needed some opinion/advice/general knowledge. I am definetly going to invest in a next gen console soon, but I really dont know wether to go with a PS3 or an Xbox 360. Some people already said Xbox is better and that sony is alone on the shelf now, but I was thinking of what type of games I enjoy playing and which would be better. I know that the final fantasy series (which I love) is no longer exclusive to Sony (apparently due to the fact that it hasnt done very well or something like that) so at least I know I could purchase it for a different console. I really like RP,survival horror and Cute fun games and I dont know what Xbox is like for that. Plus I dont like the controller much but I suppose thats something I could adapt too. Ive played Heavenly sword on a PS3 a number of times and really enjoyed it, but never played an Xbox 360. Its a bit of a confused issue and was hoping for some enlightment from those more knowledgable then myself.
Old 20-10-08, 14:04   #2
Sleepz
Yes, I hate you!

From what I know of the games you like I would likely suggest a Xbox 360, while many games are multi-platform I have been seeing 360 games much cheaper than their PS3 counterparts. Plus as you say the next Final Fantasy game "Final Fantasy XIII" is coming out on both. Also for survival horror you have to have a look at Dead Space which again is coming out on both consoles. Resident Evil 5 like 4 is much more action horror but again is coming out on both . The point being is that there are not many exclusive titles anymore, publishers get much more money that way. For the "cute" games you have stuff like VivaPinata on the 360 which is a lot of fun but bear in mind Little Big Planet is coming out which is a sort of platform game and is looking amazing, PS3 exclusive.

This being considered I would still likely consider a 360, just because of the cheaper games and the little gems such as Little Big Planet might not be enough to justify a PS3. I'll dig out the post where it was discussed some more a while back which sums up costs and extras and things, which have to be considered, such as making sure if you get a Xbox 360 you get one with a HDD and similar.

Also consider a HD TV, doesn't have to be huge, just one which can do 720p which will give you HD which is important in some games, Dead Rising for instance the text was unreadable on a standard definition TV. This is isolated though.

EDIT** http://forums.cyborg2.com/showthread.php?t=35872 the thread from before

[21:27:32] <dazrich> sleeps whare you live wrong person
[21:27:48] <@Sleepz> Spain, near Texas
[21:27:54] <@Steve-o||[^]> \n/,
[21:27:58] <dazrich> miles away :)

Last edited by Sleepz : 20-10-08 at 14:10.
Sleepz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-08, 16:38   #3
Skelly
Cyborg2 Member

Well I have a PS3 and I love it! Cant get on with my mates xbox. But then ive been a ps man since the ps1 and I only really got the ps3 for the blueray dvd player and metal gear solid 4 .

The PS3 wireless controller has a pretty good battery life and is soo light considering the battery is built in. And it comes with a usb charger so you can still play even if the controler dies
Old 20-10-08, 18:08   #4
Arab
Cyborg2 Member

These are always hard questions to answer as these things are so personal, just like mice and keyboards I love my MS natural keyboard and habu mouse, but the mrs aint keen on the keyboard.

I have an xbox360 and that was only by virtue of a friend being to lazy to get it repaired. I tend to play certain games on the console such as racing games and football, games that I dont like playing on the pc.

I would like a PS/3 purely for GT5, but a) thats a lot of cash for one game and I dont have a flat panel telly, so it would look pants on an std CRT based set.

Worth noting that the little big planet has just been recalled as some of the background music contains lines from the Koran, Sony fear a bad reaction from Islamic community and have pulled the game for the moment.

Windows: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
FreeBSD: "Are you guys coming, or what?"
Arab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-08, 18:34   #5
blaser
Cyborg2 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arab View Post
Worth noting that the little big planet has just been recalled as some of the background music contains lines from the Koran, Sony fear a bad reaction from Islamic community and have pulled the game for the moment.
Yep although I think the reasoning is more complicated, the complex I work in used to have a Sony Ericsson site and last year the complex was actually put on terrorist alert after al-Qa'ida said they would be attacking a major Sony site. I have to say the reaction was a little overblown but major companies have to take this sort of stuff quite seriously.
Old 20-10-08, 20:53   #6
Bridey
Its Bridey bitch

*is thinking* I have always been a PS person myself too, but I thought perhaps I should try something different. Im not fussed about going online with a console, so thats not a relevant factor for me. Im lucky enough to own an HD TV already so thats one blessing in the bag. I wish the PS3 was cheaper like Xbox now, but maybe they will cut the prices right down just after Xmas? Also theres a really good looking game just out on Ps3 called Folklore and I like Loco Rollo. I have to add that I think its stupid that PS3's dont have the slots for memory cards too, I was genuinely shocked when I found out and disappointed. I had a browse of that thread thanks Sleepz, I didnt realise it was here otherwise I would of read that first before starting a new one. Oh I want a wii too for the fun stuff, but that can wait.
Old 20-10-08, 17:58   #7
blaser
Cyborg2 Member

Difficult decision now that the X360 is so cheap. I brought a PS3 back in May, opted not to go for the X360 as it was working out more expensive back then and most their FPS/shooter games eventually come out on the PC.
I guess looking at it now if you play want to play your console online a lot the X360 probably has a better interface, although the PS3 is ok online and free.
I prefer to play online on the PC and single players on my console. Although I think once little big planet is out, I'm going to be addicted looks awesome.
Old 20-10-08, 18:11   #8
Grinch
Administrator

I have a 360 but now find myself wanting the PS3. Like Arab the 360 was for racing/footy games but the PS3 is slowly getting titles I want to play.
Grinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-08, 20:57   #9
Sleepz
Yes, I hate you!

Memory cards are unimportant as the PS3 has a built in HDD, I'm also pretty sure the PS3 is compatible with memory sticks, at least it works for updating the firmware of the PS3. They work out at a similar price these days as you need the 360 to have a HDD, which the basic one doesn't come with. Also for the HD-TV check to see if it takes component cables or if it has HDMI ports. You might have to buy extra cables depending.

In all honesty check the exclusive titles for both respective consoles and choose depending on that, having a HDTV remember that you will have a blue-ray player with the PS3 also. Fable 2 for the xbox comes out on Friday which might be on interest to you, it's all about fantasy and similar.

Last edited by Sleepz : 20-10-08 at 21:00.
Old 21-10-08, 07:23   #10
Grinch
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepz View Post
Also for the HD-TV check to see if it takes component cables or if it has HDMI ports. You might have to buy extra cables depending.
The 360 Elite comes with HDMI and Component cables. Tho you can only get up to 1080i with the component cables.
Old 21-10-08, 12:29   #11
Duffs
Head Psychiatrist

Always been a PS person, but I LOVE my 360.
I considered the PS3 when they came out but wanted to leave it for a while to see what games came out and how it took off community wise. Now looking back I think I made the right choice with the Xbox.
Old 21-10-08, 15:29   #12
Leela
=^.^=

PS3 for me, having had the 360 I personally prefer the PS. I was pleasantly surprised given that I only really bought it for the bluray player.

Footy games are pretty good on it too! Plus if you want to be a geek, you can always install linux on it ^^, (I have not done this though)
Leela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-08, 16:45   #13
Arab
Cyborg2 Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katze View Post
you can always install linux on it ^^, (I have not done this though)
I believe you .... honest

Windows: "Where do you want to go today?"
Linux: "Where do you want to go tomorrow?"
FreeBSD: "Are you guys coming, or what?"
Arab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-08, 17:17   #14
Leela
=^.^=

it actually has an option in the menu system for installing another os...

http://www.playstation.com/ps3-openplatform/manual.html
Old 21-10-08, 22:23   #15
Finnbar
Addict for Dramatics

Get a Wii =P

in all seriousness, I think the PS3 is the all round better unit for the general audience, the Xbox seems more 'realism', the more serious side of gaming.

But thats just my opinion, might just be the games I have played on both, but I prefer the PS3 atm of the 2.

over all tho, I say Wii all the way, for fun factor nothing beats it.

Let them hate, as long as they fear.
Finnbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-08, 08:26   #16
Bridey
Its Bridey bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnbar View Post
Get a Wii =P

in all seriousness, I think the PS3 is the all round better unit for the general audience, the Xbox seems more 'realism', the more serious side of gaming.

But thats just my opinion, might just be the games I have played on both, but I prefer the PS3 atm of the 2.

over all tho, I say Wii all the way, for fun factor nothing beats it.
In regards to the Wii it was always a console I considered great for me and saff, the Wii alone wouldnt keep me happy personally, but as I have saff it definetly adds appeal for me to get one at some point, I keep entering competitions in the hope of winning one soon
Old 21-10-08, 22:32   #17
Sleepz
Yes, I hate you!

The Wii is a gimmick and got old really fast...the biggest disadvantage to the Wii is that the multi-platform games are often much worse on the Wii, the controls are tacked on just for the sake of using the motion which often feels terrible, at least in my opinion. The extra stuff you have to buy annoys me also, never mind the batteries..yes I know there are chargers. Now games specifically designed for the Wii are fun, such as Super Mario Galaxy but it has a very thin list. Yes one is good to have but I would argue not to get one unless you have one of the others if you're into gaming in the slightest.

I personally think the PS3 and the 360 are about the same in the terms of games, they both strive for the more serious side of gaming. You'll unlikely go wrong with either it's just down to whether you want the exclusive titles or not in all honesty

Old 22-10-08, 01:13   #18
The Wife
~Down under~

You are such a PS3 girl Laura, it goes without saying! how can we possibly post games to each other to borrow if you aint??! incidently i downloaded the folklore demo, havent had a chance to play properly yet but i will make the effort and review for you xx

<----- 60's/70's party..such fun!!
The Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-08, 07:33   #19
Sleepz
Yes, I hate you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wife View Post
You are such a PS3 girl Laura, it goes without saying! how can we possibly post games to each other to borrow if you aint??! incidently i downloaded the folklore demo, havent had a chance to play properly yet but i will make the effort and review for you xx
Buy a 360 ;)....also Folklore you could find cheap, it came out over a year ago , it's not bad but not brilliant.

Old 22-10-08, 08:24   #20
Bridey
Its Bridey bitch

Quote:
Oh yes, I didnt think of that! I do feel swayed toward the PS3...
Old 22-10-08, 07:33   #21
Grinch
Administrator

I just left the house on my way to work with a huge grin on my face because I left my 360 downloading the CoD: World at War Demo/Beta.

w00t!
Old 22-10-08, 12:45   #22
Leela
=^.^=

apparently that new star wars game rocks with lightsabers on the wii
Old 22-10-08, 18:00   #23
Skelly
Cyborg2 Member

Ahhhhh i want fable! Gutted its not comming out on the PS3 May have to go buy an xbox just for that now! pffft
Old 23-10-08, 00:51   #24
Finnbar
Addict for Dramatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skelly View Post
Ahhhhh i want fable! Gutted its not comming out on the PS3 May have to go buy an xbox just for that now! pffft
Fable <3 <3 <3 <3

Just incase you didn't get the idea... <3 Fable

Old 23-10-08, 17:55   #25
blaser
Cyborg2 Member

Fable 2 does look awesome, just wondering if it will brought over to the pc like the original. I'd like to demo it.
Old 23-10-08, 18:54   #26
Skelly
Cyborg2 Member

Yea i think it will be, but dont wanna start spending money on my pc so i get a good game out of it. Would rather just plug and play it
Old 23-10-08, 20:08   #27
Bridey
Its Bridey bitch

Ive made my decision guys, thanks
Old 23-10-08, 22:35   #28
Finnbar
Addict for Dramatics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridey View Post
Do tell! (think I can guess tho ;) )

Old 24-10-08, 05:19   #29
The Wife
~Down under~

Quote:
oh you sounds all Alan Sugary!

<----- 60's/70's party..such fun!!
The Wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-08, 09:06   #30
Duffs
Head Psychiatrist

Quote:
Shoes and a handbag then eh !!! :p
Old 24-10-08, 11:12   #31
Bridey
Its Bridey bitch

Quote:
Do tell! (think I can guess tho ;) )
Quote:
oh you sounds all Alan Sugary!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffs View Post
Shoes and a handbag then eh !!! :p

oh hehe, I should make statements like that more often!

My head says Xbox and my heart says Playstation...what do you think its going to be?
Old 24-10-08, 11:47   #32
Finnbar
Addict for Dramatics

Quote:
oh hehe, I should make statements like that more often!

My head says Xbox and my heart says Playstation...what do you think its going to be?
Playstation, you should always follow your heart!

Old 24-10-08, 11:48   #33
Sleepz
Yes, I hate you!

Quote:
Playstation, you should always follow your heart!
hahahahaha, you've become so slap worthy recently.

Old 24-10-08, 14:30   #34
reloader
Banned

I have a ps3 and I love it wouldn't trade it for anything.

It's simple its not the console people should judege its the GAMES.

In my opinion if you want to go online with friends, go for the xbox if you're just into blu ray and not botherd about online get an ps3.

RE5, GT 5 full version, Resistance 2, Killsone etc are games that will give the ps3 a boost. but end of day its totally upto you.

Xbox & ps3 are same console just used in different ways.

Wii totally different, not Graphics but made to be for anyone
Old 24-10-08, 21:07   #35
blaser
Cyborg2 Member

Where did that saying actual come from "follow your heart". The last time I checked all my heart did was pump blood and oxygen round my body
Old 24-10-08, 21:09   #36
Sleepz
Yes, I hate you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser View Post
Where did that saying actual come from "follow your heart". The last time I checked all my heart did was pump blood and oxygen round my body
That was one of my points! As far as I am concerned it's another route that you can take through a choice in your brain!

Old 24-10-08, 22:28   #37
Bridey
Its Bridey bitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaser View Post
Its like a metaphor
Old 26-10-08, 23:43   #38
Agent-r00tk1t
Admin type person

Are any of these systems better than my Atari 2600?
Agent-r00tk1t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-08, 09:08   #39
Bridey
Its Bridey bitch

Oh yes, my choice was PS3, I can get it a bit cheaper from Asda too, just going to wait till after xmas and see if any prices are cut first.
Old 27-10-08, 12:44   #40
Finnbar
Addict for Dramatics

Quote:
Oh yes, my choice was PS3, I can get it a bit cheaper from Asda too, just going to wait till after xmas and see if any prices are cut first.
*does victory dance* lol